Nursing Home Transition
Nursing Home Transition & Relocation
Individuals with disabilities prefer to live in their chosen community environment outside of nursing homes. We can assist them with the necessary support services they will need to successfully transition out into the community.
Ability 1st Utah assists people with disabilities who are living in a nursing home, intermediate care facilities for intellectual disabilities, or other types of institutions, to relocate into a community-based living environment in our center’s service area, Utah, Wasatch, Juab and Sanpete Counties.
Our Staff provides individualized services with advocacy assistance, skills training, and other assistance in helping individuals to understand and utilize federal, state and local programs that will assist them in their transition process.
What you need to become eligible?
Participants are expected to be actively involved in their transition planning. They work with staff on determining their goals, and will be responsible for helping make sure that those goals become a reality.
- For individuals in need of state assistance, they must have been in an institution for at least three (3) months to be eligible for those services.
- There is no cost for nursing home transition services.
- Reintegration means discovering that as a person with disabilities, you do have choices. Too often, individuals who have spent years in a nursing home become “institutionalized” and aren’t aware of the options available to them.
- We assist people with disabilities who are living in nursing homes, intermediate care facilities or other types of institutions to relocate into a community-based living environment.
- Center staff provides individualized services with advocacy assistance, skills training, and assistance in helping to understand and utilize federal, state and local programs during this transition process.
Because consumers are individuals with various levels of need, apprehension and motivation, the speed of transition will vary from one to another.
Goals of Nursing Home Training/ Relocation Program
Our goals include:
- To educate persons with disabilities about their choices for community-based living.
- To teach persons with disabilities decision-making skills.
- To teach persons with disabilities to be their own advocates while interacting with people involved in their transition.
- To teach persons with disabilities the necessary skills for successful community living.
- To help persons with disabilities to identify community resources that can assist them in their transition to community living.
For more information, please contact:
Nursing Home Transition Specialists
E-mail: Deon@Ability1stUtah.org / Phone: 801-850-5563
Utah & Wasatch Counties
E-mail: Wendy@Ability1stUtah.org /Phone: 435-283-4949
Sanpete & Juab Counties